Admin rights permission issue

Windows 10 User

I can't edit the hosts file (for example) even though I have admin rights without setting its permissions beforehand. It asks me for a name for a new document when I try to save the changes I did.

Last edited:
I tested your preset and don't see anything out of the ordinary in regards to hosts editing.
Hosts editing requires admin permission of the tool editing it.
Start e.g. notepad as an admin then go and edit, worked here.
See guides like this.

As for the admin password prompt, haven't been able to replicate that, do you have a repeatable scenario that I can try?

Thanks.

But I already have admin rights and so I shouldn't need to do that and a person showed me that after removing the UAC with a previous paid version in the 1803 x64 version that method of running notepad as an admin didn't have to be used since after running the file it could be saved after making some changes to it without being prompted to choose a name for a new document.

What admin password prompt are you talking about?

Last edited:
We are here talking about a normal Windows behavior, non-elevated applications cannot edit protected locations, regardless if the actual user has all the permissions.
That's same as CMD.exe needs to be elevated (run as Admin) for Admin user to have admin permissions in CMD.exe. I hope it's clear.
Try running DISM in non-elevated CMD, same as hosts from the app that is not elevated, won't work.

You might be able to test how it would be without UAC by disabling UAC in Control Panel.

If I misunderstood something, feel free to explain further.
Thanks.

We are here talking about a normal Windows behavior, non-elevated applications cannot edit protected locations, regardless if the actual user has all the permissions.
That's same as CMD.exe needs to be elevated (run as Admin) for Admin user to have admin permissions in CMD.exe. I hope it's clear.
Try running DISM in non-elevated CMD, same as hosts from the app that is not elevated, won't work.

You might be able to test how it would be without UAC by disabling UAC in Control Panel.

If I misunderstood something, feel free to explain further.
Thanks.

Then why did this happen in the first place? But I also have this problem if I disable it in the control panel without having disabled it beforehand in NTLite. Could you please use my preset that I attached in the other thread and remove the UAC to see if you can edit the hosts.txt file without being prompted to choose a name for a new document after making some changes to it?

Last edited:
Then why did this happen in the first place? But like I said, I have this problem if I disable it in the control panel. Could you please use my preset that I attached in the other thread and remove the UAC to see if you can edit the hosts.txt file without being prompted to choose a name for a new document after making some changes to it?
Hi, disabling UAC from control panel only works on Windows 7. Windows 8 and up only disables UAC notification. You could still need to right click and select "run as administrator".
So how do you disable UAC in Windows 10? You have to go to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Find the EnableLUA key and change the value to 0, which disable UAC. The second you make that change, you’ll see a message from Action Center saying you have to restart to disable UAC.

Hi, disabling UAC from control panel only works on Windows 7. Windows 8 and up only disables UAC notification. You could still need to right click and select "run as administrator".

How can I run hosts.txt as an administrator without running notepad.exe as one? But according to what was told me, after removing UAC with an older NTLite version in RS4 it was possible to save the changes made in it without having runned notepad.exe as an administrador beforehand.

Last edited:
How can I run hosts.txt as an administrator without running notepad.exe as one? But according to what was told me, after removing UAC with an older NTLite version in RS3 it was possible to save the changes made in it without having runned notepad.exe as an administrador beforehand.
hosts.txt isn't a program and can't be run.
The right file should be hosts without an extension.

The only way that i have seen to edit the hosts file without the need to run as administrator, is running the built-in administrator account but only in Windows 7, not in Windows 10.

It's hosts without .txt
and the file is read only by default

Yes, your right, but in my case there's also a hosts.ics file. And is it possible to make it not read only Post-Install (I can't test it right now) or even before installing Windows 10 and is it because of that I can't save the changes I made?

hosts.txt isn't a program and can't be run.
The right file should be hosts without an extension.

The only way that i have seen to edit the hosts file without the need to run as administrator, is running the built-in administrator account but only in Windows 7, not in Windows 10.

You didn't understand the irony. Yes, it's hosts, my mistake. Ok, but I'm in Windows 10 and I don't want to run the built-in administrator account. And I just confirmed what the person told me. He can really edit it and save it without running notepad.exe as an admin and run hosts.txt.

BlueLife Hosts Editor by Sordum. If you have trouble running things with Elevated priviledges(over and above Administrator) then use Power Run(also by Sordum).

But what I wanted was to do that without using programs.

EDIT: I might have made a confusion after all with the hosts and hosts.txt files since if I'm not mistaken I added some lines into the first one after running it with notepad and after saving them it asked for a name (I didn't change the default one, hence the hosts.txt name) for a new document and after I selected the default one it created the mentioned hosts.txt file. Will these new entries work or only the ones in the original hosts (the one which doesn't end in .txt)? If not, how can I save the changes in the original hosts file without creating a new document? If they work, should I keep on doing changes in it and delete the original hosts file? There are files which do some changes in the original hosts file to block some website's access and don't create a new document. How do they do that? It looks like these same files made all this confusion since apparently the hosts.txt file is not read only by default and after they added the lines they set them as read only.

EDIT 2: Forget it, I just unchecked the read only tribute (I don't know if I should've done that) and did some changes with notepad (without running it as an administrator) and it didn't ask me for a name for a new document. Maybe that person made it not read only by removing the UAC with NTLite's previous version but that doesn't make sense. So, it looks like it has nothing to do with file permissions after all.

EDIT 3: Why do I have to run certain things as an Admin if I have a Admin rights? What do I have to remove with NTLite to not have this problem?

Last edited:
Hello,
1) you gotta be sure you're not 'going commando', to borrow from user Code at RyanVM. Well, one question might be 'Do any of the seasoned experts on this forum tweak their own systems to avoid having to click OK for program elevation prompts?' I'm guessing they don't and have good reasons that I'm not able to articulate responsibly.
2) choose your methods and software carefully. Wups, i got long-winded, please skip to **, if you like, for my software recommendation to go wild on the Hosts file in safe environment. You'll find some programs/coders are smoother than others, and it's not always about tweaking one particular thing in the OS, but also about your chosen method or software.

All the folks above who've replied know best, but I feel I recognize myself in your confusion/consternation. I'd suggest finding ways to go crazy safely with all this stuff. Work on a clone (or etc) of your OS disk drive, and find/use software that's BOTH easy for beginners (like me) and useful for career criminal experts like Nuhi, Clanger and Kasual above (complement intended). To go wild while being assured you can revert to a stable working system, you could use Windows System Restore, VirtualBox, cloned drives, or NTLite!
[August 27, 2018 from this thread]
Host Refresh migrates your installed apps and settings, so that's the easiest method to reinstall/upgrade a lite or corrupted OS.
It's fully done by the OS, Microsoft uses it for Windows Preview tests and weekly upgrades for the testers.

Yes, it is a bit dirtier than a full reinstall on the absolute sense (as your data is being copied over), depending on the previous components kept vs newly removed there could be some excess.
The way I use it on my main machine from top to bottom:
- update via Windows Updates monthly
- if any issues, Host Refresh (every 3-4 months, mainly as I remove more and more, or some removal had a fix or a leftover and I want to have those benefits on the previous removed components)
- if any issues, full reinstall (very rarely needed)

Another layer to achieve the best Host Refresh experience is to make sure to use all of the latest Dynamic Updates, not easy to come by.
e.g. for 1803 kb4340921, extract it over .\Sources folder and overwrite any existing files.
I'm planning to add those to the Update Downloader of v1.7 in the near future. There is the existing update "Compatibility update for upgrading to Windows 10 1803", integrate that as well.
I'm not quite ready yet to have a system, especially if its Windows 10, with UAC/Admin prompts disabled. It's a matter of understanding repercussions and being able to protect your PC's arse. But you CAN do it with NTLite on a live (already installed, up and running) Win10. I did it few weeks ago...But I'll leave it to the braintrust above to tell you how it should be done correctly, if you still interested.

** pardon, ok, your immediate need is to work with the Hosts file. Again, if you're like me, you're better off doing that with the guidance of a helpful user interface (GUI) and well-coded program. Clanger is a reliable source and gave you one recommendation. I haven't tried that Hosts program, but I like Sordum's PowerRun, and after trying various hosts editing programs that I couldn't wrangle, my favorite by far is Hosts File Editor+

Last edited:
Career criminal? Bloody cheek :p, morelike Obsessive-compulsive disorder(OCD) sufferer. Expert? mwahahahaha

Power Run has become quite popular. Nirsoft and Sordum are excellent places for bloody useful utilities.

Hello,
1) you gotta be sure you're not 'going commando', to borrow from user Code at RyanVM. Well, one question might be 'Do any of the seasoned experts on this forum tweak their own systems to avoid having to click OK for program elevation prompts?' I'm guessing they don't and have good reasons that I'm not able to articulate responsibly.
2) choose your methods and software carefully. Wups, i got long-winded, please skip to **, if you like, for my software recommendation to go wild on the Hosts file in safe environment. You'll find some programs/coders are smoother than others, and it's not always about tweaking one particular thing in the OS, but also about your chosen method or software.

All the folks above who've replied know best, but I feel I recognize myself in your confusion/consternation. I'd suggest finding ways to go crazy safely with all this stuff. Work on a clone (or etc) of your OS disk drive, and find/use software that's BOTH easy for beginners (like me) and useful for career criminal experts like Nuhi, Clanger and Kasual above (complement intended). To go wild while being assured you can revert to a stable working system, you could use Windows System Restore, VirtualBox, cloned drives, or NTLite!
[August 27, 2018 from this thread]
Host Refresh migrates your installed apps and settings, so that's the easiest method to reinstall/upgrade a lite or corrupted OS.
It's fully done by the OS, Microsoft uses it for Windows Preview tests and weekly upgrades for the testers.

Yes, it is a bit dirtier than a full reinstall on the absolute sense (as your data is being copied over), depending on the previous components kept vs newly removed there could be some excess.
The way I use it on my main machine from top to bottom:
- update via Windows Updates monthly
- if any issues, Host Refresh (every 3-4 months, mainly as I remove more and more, or some removal had a fix or a leftover and I want to have those benefits on the previous removed components)
- if any issues, full reinstall (very rarely needed)

Another layer to achieve the best Host Refresh experience is to make sure to use all of the latest Dynamic Updates, not easy to come by.
e.g. for 1803 kb4340921, extract it over .\Sources folder and overwrite any existing files.
I'm planning to add those to the Update Downloader of v1.7 in the near future. There is the existing update "Compatibility update for upgrading to Windows 10 1803", integrate that as well.
I'm not quite ready yet to have a system, especially if its Windows 10, with UAC/Admin prompts disabled. It's a matter of understanding repercussions and being able to protect your PC's arse. But you CAN do it with NTLite on a live (already installed, up and running) Win10. I did it few weeks ago...But I'll leave it to the braintrust above to tell you how it should be done correctly, if you still interested.

** pardon, ok, your immediate need is to work with the Hosts file. Again, if you're like me, you're better off doing that with the guidance of a helpful user interface (GUI) and well-coded program. Clanger is a reliable source and gave you one recommendation. I haven't tried that Hosts program, but I like Sordum's PowerRun, and after trying various hosts editing programs that I couldn't wrangle, my favorite by far is Hosts File Editor+

I no longer have problems with the Hosts file and I want to run things with the highest level privileges without the help of a program. Also, I can't delete somes files/folder because they have SYSTEM privileges or something like that and I can't use live mode since I don't have a paid license.

Last edited:
ok, just know that you're heading into a tunnel of probably more Sisyphusean effort than the annoying permission popups. And you should not expect your learning curve to fall fully under the sense of purpose of NTLite/forum....but it'll be fun, right?!?

The doorway into the tunnel, unless I'm wrong, is somewhere amongst these:
WinAero: How to turn off and disable UAC in Windows 10
Windows Ten Forums: UAC popups even when uac is disabled
etc: DuckDuckGo

PD - If I'm way off base in my responses, I apologize and please ignore:oops:

Also, I can't delete somes files/folder because they have SYSTEM privileges or something like that and I can't use live mode since I don't have a license.

Adds a Take Ownership option when you right click a file.
If a file is still "locked" run VoidTools Everything(file search utility) from Power Run. You can use 7zips file manager 7zFM.exe in the same way.

Attachments

• w7-take-ownership.reg
    662 bytes
Adds a Take Ownership option when you right click a file.
If a file is still "locked" run VoidTools Everything(file search utility) from Power Run. You can use 7zips file manager 7zFM.exe in the same way.

Thanks, although I used that (Take Ownership) in the past. Well, too complicated for me.

Last edited:
Back